Pages

Friday, March 21, 2008

The cleanest feet in all Jerusalem




Y yyue to you a newe maundement,
that ye loue togidir,
as Y louede you,
and that ye loue togidir.
John 13:34 Wycliffe NT

A new commandment I give unto you,
that ye love one another;
even as I have loved you,
that ye also love one another.
John 13:34 RV

A wonderful coincidence occurred on Thursday: I was looking at the e-sword
website, hunting for a different Bible translation; one a bit more modern than the RV, and I came across the modules: here I found both the Wycliffe (1380)and Tyndale (1523) translations. Well pleased by this (I have been after these for some time; and here they were, ready to slot into e-sword: searchable, comparable...oh, the joy!) I commenced looking at Thursday's reading. In the Wycliffe version, the word "commandment" is given as "maundement".

While I had been focusing on the actually footwashing aspect of the day, this find puts the emphasis on the meaning of the act.
and he took a towel,
and girded himself.
Then he poureth water into the bason,
and began to wash the disciples’ feet,
and to wipe them with the towel wherewith he was girded.
...
So when he had washed their feet,
and taken his garments,
and sat down again,
he said unto them, Know ye what I have done to you?
Ye call me,
Master,
and,
Lord:
and ye say well;
for so I am.
If I then,
the Lord and the Master,
have washed your feet,
ye also ought to wash one another’s feet.
For I have given you an example,
that ye also should do as I have done to you.
John 13:4-5, 12-15 RV



The foot washing is an acted lesson. The point is in the last words of Jesus speech:

For I have given you an example,
that ye also should do as I have done to you.
John 13:13 RV

Jesus emphasizes the importance of this act after informing the disciples of his forthcoming betrayal by rephrasing this point:
love one another;
even as I have loved you,
that ye also love one another.
John 13:34 RV

By washing their feet, Jesus shows the disciples the meaning of leadership and servitude. By his second related statement, he clarifies the real meaning. It is not about who is in charge or who is a follower:
it is about loving one another. And this will be the defining feature of the disciples, and all Christians hereafter:

By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples,
if ye have love one to another.
John 13:35 RV



No comments: