Pages

Saturday, April 25, 2009

A slack homeboy at best

I am the good shepherd: 
the good shepherd layeth down his life for the sheep. 
John 10:11 RV

Today witnessed a guy getting punched in the head several times.

I was with my daughter and dog, outside a petrol station. A drunk couple were in the forecourt cuddling, and very happy. They had just left the pub over the road.

A car came up very quickly. A young guy got out, said something to the bloke  then started punching him. A young woamn gotm out of the car and was shouting at the young guy to get in the car, and how he was scaring their toddler in the backseat. He got in, and they raced off.

The couple came toward me. 

"Are you alright, mate" was the sum total of my involvement.

Walking home, I saw my reflection in a car window. I saw I was wearing my "Jesus is my homeboy" t-shirt. 

What kind of a Christian was I in that situation? I was advertising the faith, yet I stood there gaping like idiot.

"Are you alright, mate?"

I know I should have done more. Really should have been involved. Done something at least.

"Are you alright, mate?"

A real Christian response would be to put myself inbetween them and at least try to stop either of them hurting each other. But no. 

Now, neither of these people were part of my flock so to speak. And I don't think I needed to "lay my life down for them". But being on the sideline while visibly stating my faith is not good. It does nothing to help anyone. It just reconfirms the standard idea of Christianity. 

Today I was given a chance to put my faith where my mouth is, and I stood there gaping.

What would Jesus do, indeed.





No comments: